Sunday, September 30, 2012

Week in Review

So about a week ago (exactly a week ago? Whatever.) I made all these promises about changes I wanted to make in my life. And in an effort not to sound like a shitty boyfriend who talks about how he'll change all the time, I actually tried to hold myself accountable to those.

To sum up, my goals were these:

Homework/Studying
Follow my calendar for the day (both personally and for school)
Eat healthy
Exercise  at least 2x/week
Meditate 5-10 mins/day
Stop neglecting hubby
Be a Listener and NOT an over-sharer
Facebook Hiatus

I did okay. I know Rome wasn't built in a day and it takes time to make and break habits, but who doesn't love seeing immediate results with no work?

I didn't follow my schedules and accomplish all of the homework (which consisted mainly of required reading), however I did TRY. The problem was the sheer volume this week was just incredible. I'm hoping to catch back up today and start fresh for the week. If I can manage to read 3 chapters today and finish my clinical paperwork, I won't be golden, but I'll at least have a fighting chance to get back on schedule. I'll let you know how that goes...

I didn't exercise, like, at all. Although in clinicals on Friday, I did help move and clean a 300 pound woman. That should count for something, because I'll tell you, that was damn hard work lol. I'm really going to try hard to get those 2x in this week, though.

I did eat pretty decently this week. Not great, but better than my usual. Yesterday I finally went to the store and stocked up on a bunch of healthy stuff. I didn't buy any junk food for myself, so that should take care of that! As long as I don't go out anywhere and stick to what I bought, my diet will be fine. I'm going to start taking pictures of what I eat, too. I promise I won't dump it all on you here, but I do plan on making a photo food journal. I used to keep a written journal, but I find I don't feel as accountable as actually seeing what all I ate does. I may post the highlights or especially smart ideas, but I promise I won't bore you with every meal I eat, every day of the week :D

I didn't meditate every day, but I did manage it three times. That's a start, right? And I am trying to be more relaxed and mindful all the time.

Unfortunately I did continue to neglect my hubby this week. It's not that I didn't try, but as I mentioned before the workload was a bit much this week. I did make an effort to cook a meal for us a couple times, where we sat down and actually got to chat. And I made his lunch for work a couple times, too. I think it's a start in letting him know I care, even when I'm busy. Though he does wish I had more time for him, I'm lucky in that he is perfectly content playing his computer games and such while I study. Some of my classmates say their husbands actually get angry because they don't have enough time for them. That's just crazy to me! What else are they supposed to do? Flunk out?? Insanity. I am very fortunate.

Just like everything else, I did mediocre at best at my listening (and not sharing) goal. Although I still felt my mouth take over and feel the need to chime in way too often, I did attempt to listen more than I talked. It's nice to hear what other people have to say, I just have to give them the opportunity to say it.

My facebook hiatus was the one thing I actually succeeded at! It was the easiest one, I know, but it's something! I still have that instinct to, whenever I get on the computer, pull up my browser and type in Facebook.com, but I fought the urge! I didn't go on once except to pop in yesterday and catch up for a minute. And I'm cool with that. Once a week still keep's me up to date on what's going on in people's lives, without facebook becoming my life.

Not a bad first week, but hoping for more success next week! Of course, I will keep you posted :)



No comments:

Post a Comment