Monday, October 1, 2012

babiesbabiesbabies

I don't know what it is, but over the last six months (bear in mind, I've only been married a year...) I've really had babies on the brain! I'm still in my early 20's and have so much more I want to do before babies, but I just can't stop thinking about them. I thought once nursing school started it would clear up, but no! I mean, I do think about it less due to less brain cell availability, but I still think about it. A lot.

Does that even make sense? Wanting a baby and not wanting a baby at the same time?? Luckily I can guarantee my logical self is going to win this argument. We are absolutely, 100% waiting until after school to even really broach the subject. But even though logically I know the time is not now, it doesn't make the desire go away. Ah, to be a man and have my emotions make sense... 

So, to remind myself, every time I get into a baby craze (if my husband doesn't, that is lol) I've created a Bucket Crib List? Diaper Pale List? Eh, you get the idea. A-List-of-Shit-I-Should-Do-Before-Popping-Out-Babies.

It is as follows:

Buy a house.
Furnish said house to my liking. I'm not going to have extra time or money to decorate a house with a new baby!
Get my ASN (program I'm currently in.)
Pay those loans off.
Save for getting my BSN.
Get my BSN!
Spend time being cute and couple-y with my husband. One of us has always been in school for the entire length of our relationship. It'd be nice to just go to work and go home and have a life for a change! Not have to go home and study for hours on end. 
Establish an untouchable savings account of at least 3 months expenses, just in case. I know we should already have one now, but letmetellyou, cops do NOT get paid enough and school is WAY too expensive.
Travel! So many places, I won't even get into naming them all right now.
Be debt-free. Currently all of our debt consists of a $70 balance on my Target card and my student loans, but in case we accrue more, I want to be straightened out before we bring a baby into the equation.
Get cracking on that list of passions I want to pursue!

I'm sure there's more. But that's the gist. I know life doesn't end when you have a baby, but having all that accomplished really would make the transition easier. And more importantly, would allow us to secure a better future for that child. 

If I'm honest with myself and really think about how long this could all take, that puts me at maybe 27, at the earliest, when we start really thinking about children. And that puts the hubby at nearly 30. I don't particularly like the thought of waiting that long, but it'll be worth the wait :) Plus there is so much more fun to be had while we're young and carefree! I just need to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment