Thursday, June 7, 2012

Dealing with the sadness of humanity.

Articles like this break my heart. As I am very involved in the plight of neglected, abused and homeless animals, I see a lot of truly heart-wrenching cases and stories.

And then of course there are the multitudes of human right issues going on around the world. People are starving and dying. Men, women and children, alike.  We are beating and killing each other left and right.

Humanity can be really awful.

And every time I see or hear these things, I don't know how to deal with it. Initially, it always gets to me. The sadness seeps into my heart. Of course, I'm outwardly functional, but there's just this sadness and loss of faith in human kind.

So then, I distance myself from the feelings. Try to cut myself off from them. Disconnect.

But that's not right, either. These people or animals are suffering and I'm sitting safely in my house eating lunch on the couch. I can't just go on with life like there isn't someone suffering, somewhere, every second of the day.


But I also can't live my life sad and depressed because of all the evil in the world.

Naturally the next step is to concentrate on the good people in the world, but again, there's still so much bad. And I just can't write that off.

This is kind of an unresolved post, because I really don't leave it with any kind of epiphany. Just the continual conundrum that goes on in my head all the time.

Maybe one day, I'll have a better answer?

I hope so. In the meantime, I'm just going to cope by continuing volunteering at animal shelters and desperately hoping I will make a difference. To anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment